Monday, February 16, 2009

Grape juice and tortillas

Something happened yesterday that I really wish we could incorporate into our spiritual lives. In the morning I worshipped with a church in one barrio (suburb), then we took Communion to a lady in a village and worshipped, and then we worshipped with another church in the city at night. At every worship service, I participated in the Lord's Supper. That is to say, I took Communion. At my home church, we have a large Lord's Supper during the morning service. During evening worship, there is an announcement for those "who did not partake of the Lord's Supper this morning" to go to the back and find out where it will be served. Or at other places where there is no spare room, people are asked to raise their hand and then they will be served. Umm, isn't this called communion. Didn't Jesus say something to the effect of "As often as you do this in rememberance of Me, you proclaim My Name until I return"? So why do we separate ourselves by morning partakers and evening partakers? Ningun (no one) asked if I had already communed because I was in the process of communing con mis hermanos. 

I've got a crazy idea that will tick a good number of people off or at least make people think. (Really, that's all you have to say. You always have crazy ideas that tick people off.) Why not everyone take communion at every service on the first day of the week? That way the whole body is communing with one another. I know that reeks of inefficiency, but I think God had called us to slow down and think about Him for awhile. Let's face it two hours on Sunday and one and a half on Wednesday don't cut it.

But wait, there's more! Athens, you don't get off the hook easily either. Small groups can commune too. Yes, I know we study and we eat together, but what if part of LIFE group is dedicated to spiritual communion. 

But, what do I know. Soy un gringo.

namaste/ vaya con Dios

P.S. Does anyone actually read this

No comments:

Post a Comment