Thursday, February 5, 2009

Books and CSI in the Big Apple

My most sincere regrets for not writing for a while. My life has been without enough interest to write about.

I have almost finished "East of Eden," and I have hit a point where I don't want it to end. The book is like a long chess game. At first, the players moved around and it took some time to understand their actions and strategy. Some of the characters developed lovely personalities and others you despised because of their lack of humanity. (By the way, it is very difficult to make a fictional human character with sympathetic qualities into a very evil, black-hearted person.) Some of the pieces have been lost along the way. Some of them pawns, only their to move the story along or to gain some advantage further down the road. Others, were the big players that you hated to see go not only because of the way they moved the story but the way they moved within the story. Now, when the majority of the pages sit in my left hand and only a few in my right, I am reluctant to finish the story. The endgame is obvious, not in a way that ruins it but obvious in the way Scooby-Doo is obvious. You know Fred and the gang will catch the bad guy, but you don't know how or what actions will invariably draw the narration to a close.

Speaking of the good guys always winning... I have recently renewed my affection for the CSI series. The original in Las Vegas is my favorite because the charecters seemed more developed, but it rarely comes on in syndication. I like the Miami the least because, well, the actors overact and are too hardboiled. Horatio and his group just go around accusing every suspect and turn out to be wrong 2 out of 3 times every episode because that's all the time the writers have for them to be wrong before the bad guy is caught. So, I wind up watching the New York version the most. Yeah the acting suffers from the same dilemma and they overaccuse as well, but not as much as the Miami squad. Anyway, I digress. I like CSI because, like Scooby-Doo, the bad guy is always caught. Justice is always served. And, I like thinking the forces of good always win out in the end despite our obvious character flaws.

namaste
Vaya con Dios

P.S. are ya happy coop

No comments:

Post a Comment