Monday, December 7, 2009

The One You Love

One of the things that I will always remember from my short time in Virginia is the time you spend at night. During the day, I would futilely fill out job applications and drive around to figure out where I was. But, around 5:00 I would get bored until Kyle came home. To stave off boredom, I would cook dinner, and put on music to dance to in the kitchen. I would meticulously plan so that dinner would be finished the exact moment he walked in the door (much to his delight).

One thing I noticed was how fun it was to come home at the end of the day and there not be a dark apartment, but the smell of a warm meal and warm reception. Even now, Kyle jokes about me coming up to be his cook and how I'll make a good li'l housewife one day. There wasn't much in the way of planning. Just buy groceries and cook what you had. Nothing absolutely astonishing came out of the oven, we decided what to eat the night before.

I like living with a dog now. Chester is always happy when I come in the door and it makes for a warm welcome. I think I understand why people have dogs, because whoever gets home first isn't denied a loving hello from someone who misses them.

And in a 'round about way I think of my future family. One day I'll probably open the door and some rugrat will come and wrap itself around my leg, there will be evening plans and I will get to enjoy the love of a family. And today, I realize I couldn't live alone because I need someone to be there, not as a crutch but as a reassurance that I'm not the only soul in this world. That other people smile and hurt and live and breathe like I do except that they live a life separate from mine.

One of my favorite memories is my parents kissing each other three times before they left the house or after they arrived. It taught me to always come home to the one you love, because often times they love you right back.

It's 4:35 on a Monday and now I'm going home to see Chester and hopefully Jim is there already.

namaste
vaya con Dios

No comments:

Post a Comment