Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I Need a Francis Fix

I was asked today whom I was listening to, which doesn't happen often. I live with a guy who introduces me to most of the music I know.

I told the person who asked that Hootie and the Blowfish was one of my favorite bands growing up. Maybe a little bit odd for a kid in elementary school, but it was the 90's and music was better. While most of my friends listened to Nirvana and Marlyn Manson, I listened to 'Cracked Rear View,' 'Fairweather Johnson,' 'Scattered, Smothered, and Covered,' and 'Musical Chairs.' Yeah I bought them all. Later, when I was in college, 'Looking for Lucky' spent an entire month in my CD player.

I started thinking how my taste in music now figure into my taste then. Now, I like decidedly more bluegrass styled music, and Hootie was rock, right? Listen to the later albums. It takes a definite bluesy, grassy shift.

The second thing that remains the same is the passion. Comparing The Avett Brothers' and Hootie's singing, I actually believe their lyrics. The way the song is sung means a lot to me. I want to feel what the artist is feeling, see what they saw, rip my heart out and give it to them. That's one of the reasons I don't listen to a lot of contemporary Christian music. Everything seems canned, polished, ...fake. I'd rather hear someone scream and cry out lyrics of jubilation than to hear someone hit a perfect high C. (Reasons I didn't and don't listen to Celine Dion and Mariah Carrey.)

Some things change and somethings never do.

1 comment: