Saturday, December 5, 2009

What magazines do you read?

Recently, (this morning) I was reading a magazine for Christian ministers. Amongst the articles covering an Assembly of God convention, music reviews, and a touching piece on the lawyer called the "Conscience of China's" disappearance, there were countless advertisements. Books and colleges dominate the purchasers of ad space. Quick note, I'm not accusing Christian magazines of selling out; they need ad revenue to keep subscriptions cheap.

Dominating the wording in the ads were adjectives like extreme, revolutionary, relevant, and the like, all describing how these various books could change your life and the world. Nestled in the bottom corner of one page was an editorial cartoon with the caption, "You say you have interest in ministry, but you don't drink craft beer, haven't seen a Wes Anderson movie, nor have you grown a goatee." All these things are intended as to be relevant to a modern twenty-something culture. The cartoon didn't come down on these things and I realize it is making (a very accurate) stereotype (says the goatee sporting, craft beer snob who recently saw 'The Darjeeling Limited').

But, I guess the thing that gets me is that we, Christians, use this language among ourselves. As if we have lost the meaning of Scripture and need a couple of self-help books and a cool CD to reintroduce the Bible to us. It makes me question why I do the things I do. Why do I say I enjoy the outdoors when I haven't been camping in over a year? I like mountain biking, but my tires are worn from riding miles on the pavement and not the trail. I have a goatee because I can't grow a full beard and Abbie likes it. Why am I pursuing a life in ministry? Do I want to fight making a religion that has never nor ever will be relevant to culture, relevant to culture? The 'Conscience of China' saw the followers of an ancient Chinese religion being tortured, and he, because of his Christian worldview, sued the government; while in America we (Christians) hear about prisoners being tortured in Gitmo and do not demand the government be true to their call to be the last, great hope. No we left that battle to the Left because we were to busy arguing that homosexuals can't call themselves married while half of our followers file for divorce and have unwed mothers.

I guess I want to believe I'm going to be a part of a group that is more concerned about the state of man's soul than the color of walls, order of worship, or style of singing. I want to be a part of a group that will not worry if they are relevant and just be true to their hearts seeking after God.

namaste
vaya con Dios

No comments:

Post a Comment