Saturday, June 27, 2009

Empty

Paul told some Christians in a letter that he was being poured out like a drink offering. We sing a song, "Emptied Himself of all but love..."

I realize these men are rockstars of my faith (One being supremely greater than the other, though he did say imitate me as I imitate the supreme rockstar), but I kinda relate to that idea of being empty right now. The last three weeks I've slept in one day. Even this past Thursday I had off I had to wake up and do something I didn't want to. I tried to enjoy a hike that same day, but was rushed to get back into town for ridiculously early commitment. People in my life are having meltdowns or not going anywhere at all.

So I'm pouring myself out on them. I've saved up a pretty sizeable ammount of good juju so I'm offloading it. I think I did it too fast.

Now I'm going to Bible camp where I feel like I'm going to continue to pour myself out for an entire week. Except there's nothing left to pour. So, I'm going to leave this cup imagery and think of myself as a sponge. Squeeze a sponge and you squeeze out the water, yet the sponge is still damp. You can always squeeze out more.

Caution: Science Content Ahead
Or think of the soil. There are two water contents in soil that we look for. The first is field capacity. This is the amount of water a pedon (dirt clod) can hold before its pores completely saturated. At this point water can freely flow through the soil; rain falls down and feeds the groundwater, which feeds the river that fills the ocean. The other water content is called the wilting point. This is the water content in which plants can no longer draw water off of the soil because the minerals are holding on to water molecules much like a super magnet. There is still water in the soil but it is not usable. This water gives the soils its ability to maintain its structure.

So maybe I'm soil, I was a Water and Soil Major after all. I give life to plants by letting them all draw water off of me while I wait for rain and then I will be able to let the water flow through me so that I can fill the ocean. (After all I'm going to Bible camp and I should experience the fullness of God there, right?)

namaste
vaya con Dios

No comments:

Post a Comment