Saturday, January 30, 2010

Resoulutions

Well its the end of January, how are you're resolutions doing? Since, my birthday is within the first two weeks of a new year, I usually don't begin resolutions until then.

My are not doing well in some respects, but well in others. As you can see by the number of post in January, my resolve to post more has been lacking. I've posted the same in a month that I've wanted to post in a week. Why do I want to post? Well, I would eventually like to write a book, and I need to improve my writing style. However, the more I think about that the less I want to write. One, there are a lot of books by Christian authors out there. Two, most of those books are crappy. They are written by people who want to write a book like me. If I do eventually write a book, I want it to say something to the world that will actually make a difference, not just fill shelf-space at Lifeway Bookstore for six months. Also, I've gotten a few back issues of Christianity Today from some of the people I work with. Inside are ads for books and colleges that promise to make you into a better person, more able to connect with the current culture, more like Jesus (or their founding theologians), and all for the glory of God. I have this fear that whatever I write will have an ad in these magazines and some snot-nose student will see it and judge me (typical post-modern cynic brat). Also, I've read some really good books by some really good authors, and I've got to admit... I'm intimidated by their success and vision.

Personally, my resolution for physical betterment is a half-and-half. I have been able to limit myself to one cheeseburger a week (which is a great success), and I have had several days a week where I haven't eaten meat. Abbie and I are running at least three days a week. I guess next up is daily sit-ups and push-ups.

Why do we make resolutions? What is magical about January 1st that makes it seem like we can start over. Its like we can drop all of our baggage and bad habits from last year. Yet, we are haunted by the specters of the past and feel sad when we fail. I think if we realize we have a past and it colors our present its easier to understand where we are going in the future. Doing the same things the same way and expecting different results is foolishness as some wise person whose name I can't remember said. Lets here now resolve to "redouble our efforts and do something with our lives" (as Meriwether Lewis sort of said)

namaste
vaya con DIOS

No comments:

Post a Comment