Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What do you need?

While reading a couple of books I've realized (only because its been told to me) that this current generation wants challenge.

You might want to listen to this in a separate window while reading the rest of this post.

I think the words are true. The two books I've read that have convinced me of this both posit that we want to be invited into a story that challenges us. This flies in the face of the easy Gospel where you pray Jesus into your heart. This flies in the face of church on Sunday. This kicks the legs out from under the American gospel of health and wealth. So, why do we suffer from a lack of interest in church?

Church is boring. (insert angry comments directed at me here) We don't have a challenging story. (more angry comments) We don't even like what we or others are doing most of the time. (just be sure to leave my mom out of the comments)

What if we just don't tell the Story the way it was meant to be told? What if we don't tell how challenging the Story actually is? What if we don't engage the Story truthfully ourselves and let It challenge us?

Maybe its time for Christians to be a streetwise Hercules and be a hero the world is reaching back for.

namaste
vaya con Dios

No comments:

Post a Comment