Wednesday, April 1, 2009

If I had a hammer..

I am having a good week. Why? I have been working, smashing my fingers and wrestling with window blinds. I watched a really old movie in which a rich playboy is constantly sick. The doctor tells him that he needs to do some work. His butler remarks, "The hardest job in the world is doing nothing." I'm here to say that, "Yeah, it is" I find great joy in manual labor. My muscle tired and sore with the strain of the day. Let me say here that the past few days were not that strenuous but were appreciated.

Also, I received the most amazing gift Tuesday. I opened a graduation gift and discovered a blank, red Moleskine notebook. A blank book, the thought still shivers my spine. A blank book gives you the license to fill it with anything. What do you put in there? Do you dedicate it to one subject? Is it a multi-tasker? Will it only be filled with appointments and to do list? And the first page, how do you begin? I feel like having a ribbon cutting ceremony. The first page is the first impression of your book. I feel like I may overdo it and come off trite or overthought.

Our lives are blank books. Some are totally dedicated to one subject, others are merely a list of to-do and appointments. Some are filled with the wise sayings of others, or the musings of the owner. And a couple of us are missing a few pages. Sometimes our lives remain a blank book because we were too afraid to begin. There was no worthy cause found to fill the pages, or we worried we might mess up and the whole book would be ruined. Is that an excuse to leave a book blank? No! Now, the book is made useless through no fault of its own. It still exist, but it cannot live up to its true potential because it is blank. A blank book is only exciting because it is waiting to be filled. There is no joy in an empty book.

I look forward to caressing each leaf with a pen, caring for the spine and marking the latest entry with its bright red ribbon.

No comments:

Post a Comment