Thursday, January 8, 2009

Dreams

Ever since I was little, I have had vivid dreams. I would sit at breakfast telling my mom the most fantastic stories. They were so detailed, it was assumed I made them up. Most people dream in black and white, less people dream, or least remember their dreams, in color (colour if you're British). My dreams are more than Dolby 5.1, HD, Blu-ray. No, my dreams come in more like virtual reality. You remember the 3-D rides at Disney world where you get tossed around like a rag-doll and stuff comes flying at your head? Welcome to my dream world. Most of the time my dreams are benign or even enjoyable. Like the one where I was in a race with Bill Nye the Science Guy as a judge. However, some of my dreams are terrible. They haunt me the following days like I had some choice in the matter.

There are some dreams we do choose. There was one American who dreamed another would stand across the way on a cold, January morning. Some of my friends dream of med-school. There are a lot of times I wish I could take these dreams and play them at night.

I have many dreams I know won't come true. There are songs I will never sing because my fingers are too slow to form the chords, or collaborative efforts won't happen because of my hard-headedness or that of others. I probably won't own trendy gourmet restaurant or shoot a photo article for National Geographic. There are many skills I will probably never have, and there are many places I'll probably never go.

Who knows where those dreams came from. Did I have a choice in those dreams? There are some dreams we choose and some we do not. We are presented with a number dreams and then we choose from those which to follow. We are forced to follow some dreams, and sometimes an unexpected nightmare binds us up for a while. But, everyonce in a while, we have dream that is, in fact, enjoyable that we did not choose.

namaste, vaya con Dios

No comments:

Post a Comment